T
N
T
The Native Tourist
reformed/biblical observations on Christianity and culture

Wednesday, October 22, 2003
Trick Culture
There is a funny line (among many) in Ghostbusters that still makes me chuckle. A little.

The Sigourney Weaver character, who is posessed by a nasty evil spirit, while floating in the air, turns to Bill Murray, and purrs, "Do you waaaant my body." The Bill Murray character, not skipping a beat, replies, "Is that a trick question?"

I think the interchange captures nicely what we are dealing with when we encounter (hopefully not engage) the non-Christian culture that is all around us. At times non-Christian culture is downright beautiful (as was pointed out by R C Sproul Jr in a recent Razorpoint article). But underneath the real beauty (which is surely due to God's common grace), there often lies a profound, nasty evil core. Sometimes the core is inyourface, sometimes it is very subtle, or mixed with enough truth to be really dangerous.

I certainly listen to non-Christian music, watch non-Christian movies and view non_Christian art. And I even enjoy much of it. But I also find that what used to be funny or beautiful to me, as I have matured in Christ, is no longer so.(Ghostbusters is a case in point; as is the Far Side.)

I guess what I am trying to say is that we (at the very least), need to think twice before we bite, and take the time to thoroughly taste what's in our mouth before we swallow.