T
N
T
The Native Tourist
reformed/biblical observations on Christianity and culture

Monday, December 15, 2003
Positive Criticism
From a really perceptive blog entry by Terry Teachout on music criticism (applies to other types of criticism as well): about its objective and subjective componants, and about humility and willingness to change one's (expand) mind:

"At the same time, I believe devoutly that criticism is not merely a matter of taste, that it is rooted in objective perceptions of fact; I also think that some critics are more perceptive than others, just as some pieces of music are better than others. I suppose it would be more stylish to put the word "better" in quotes, but the awful truth is that I unhesitatingly accept the existence of a meaningful standard of excellence in the arts."

I absolutely love his comment on Schoenberg!