The Native Tourist
reformed/biblical observations on Christianity and culture
Tuesday, August 22, 2006
1. One book that changed your life:
Being Human: The Nature of Spiritual Experience by Barrs and MacAulay.
This book helped me to see that denying myself meant denying my sinful nature, so that I can affirm - truly - my human nature renewed by the Holy Spirit.
Two other books that changed my life: Escape from Reason by Schaeffer and Art Needs No Justification by Rookmaaker.
2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
Plowing in Hope :^)
3. One book you’d want on a desert island:Besides the Bible, maybe Calvin's Institutes.
4. One book that made you laugh:
Lost in the Cosmos by Walker Percy (esp the chapter "The last Phil Donahue Show").
5. One book that made you cry:
Well almost cry: The Huguenot Garden by Douglas Jones (chapter "Stars and Sand").
6. One book that you wish had been written:
Sevententh Century Dutch Art: a Reformed View by Hans Rookmaaker.
7. One book that you wish had never been written:
Where in the World is the Church; A Christian View of Culture and Your Role in It by Mike Horton. (destructive Two-Kingdom banter)
8. One book you’re currently reading:
Future Men by Doug Wilson.
9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
Art and Soul by Brand and Chaplin.