T
N
T
The Native Tourist
reformed/biblical observations on Christianity and culture

Tuesday, January 30, 2007
The Wright Stuff?

This article one on Frank Lloyd Wright's Usonian homes in the Seattle area caught my eye. There was a similar type house in Oberlin, where I attended grad school.

The article takes pains to point out this these houses were intended by Wright to be affordable for people of modest means (total area: 1600 sq ft). This might have been true in the 50s, but to try and even attempt such craft and detailing in a house today would be outragiously expensive. Yet is rises so far above the recently built trophy houses that I have seen let alone the typical tract home.

Reminds me of the Susanka Not so Big House approach.

I wonder how much the houses in her book end up costing?