T
N
T
The Native Tourist
reformed/biblical observations on Christianity and culture

Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Just Incredible
Please allow me to digress a tiny bit from my usual musings and discuss the all to common use of the word incredible.

"Incredible" means/used to mean "untrue", as in "the slippery witness was utterly incredible in their testimony." Yet all too often the word is used to mean more or less the opposite: "this food tastes incredible." I suppose the idea is that such a something is too good to be true.

Every time I hear the word used this way it is like fingernails on the blackboard. The epitome of this lexical abuse is phrase penned/spoken by Christians again and again: "God is so incredible." Ouch! Jesus is "the way, the truth, the life" and is so "incredible" is doing so.

Does anybody else out there experience pain when they hear/read this?

I know that language evolves over time but this seems to be a subtle undermining of God's absolutely credible character. Will you join me in stopping the abuse?